Whether to support lactation or increase supply, I think most breastfeeding mamas explore the internet for lactation recipes. I personally prefer making my own lactation cookies but I have been known to make a smoothie here or there. Below I have listed the three that I enjoy.
- 1 handful of Cashews (Sometimes, I sub almonds.)
- 1/2 cup frozen berries (I prefer strawberries, but mango could be fun and different right?)
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 tray ice
*blitz on high for 30 seconds*
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp brewer’s yeast
- 1 tbs cacao powder (I skip this ingredient.)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (If you don’t like the taste of coconut oil, skip this one. Coconut oil, at least in my opinion, has a very powerful taste.)
*blitz on higher than high for 1 minute*
The original recipe calls to top this with buckinis & bee pollen. Now, I’m all about the health but when I called the closest Whole Foods to inquire about bee pollen, the sweet girl told me “Like from actual Bees? Ma’am, we don’t sell Bees at this location.” I give up Whole Foods, I give up.
**Also, and this is SOOOO important, remember to cut THEN freeze the bananas! Cutting a frozen banana is near impossible and if you are at all uncoordinated like I am, you will hurt yourself.
THE ONE WITH THE YOGURT OPTION
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 apple (optional)
- 2 or so tbsp brewer’s yeast
- 1 or so tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tbsp whey powder (optional)
- Dash of cinnamon and/or vanilla
- 3/4 cup almond, cow, rice or soy milk or yogurt
Ice cubes. Blend. Enjoy.
THE ONE WITH OATS
- 1/2 cup milk (4oz) ((I like to sub almond milk.)
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/2 tbsp brewer’s yeast
- 1/2 tbsp flaxseed
- 1/2 banana ( frozen, unfrozen… your choice)
- 1/2 cup yogurt of choice ( frozen in ice cube trays)
Blend well. Enjoy boost in milk supply.
REMEMBER: No two people are the same. Some women see results with brewer’s yeast right away, some see a boost in supply with just adding oatmeal to their diet; others take fenugreek for weeks before reaping any benefits. The important thing is to find what works for you.